LUMECCA IPL TREATMENT
LUMECCA IPL TREATMENT
Lumecca is an Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) laser treatment that helps improve and brighten texture and reduce skin irregularities, including sun damage, freckles, pigmentation, and superficial vessels. Lumecca IPL treatment is a popular anti-ageing treatment that is quick with visible results after the first or second session.
Using the Lumecca IPL treatment, Dr Spengane targets oxyhemoglobin found in the blood vessels and melanin, which causes pigmented lesions in the skin that may appear to be brown. In addition, IPL treatment increases the formation of new collagen resulting in improved skin texture, which helps reduce pore size and the appearance of wrinkles. The most common treatment area includes areas that are exposed to the sun, such as the face, neck, décolletage, arms and hands.
How does Lumecca IPL work?
Lumecca IPL laser treatment involves the use of photo-thermolysis, which is delivered in specific wavelengths of light that interact with red and brown pigments of the skin. These skin pigments absorb the light and are then destroyed. As a result, Lumecca IPL has a high specificity and selectivity for pigmentation and redness due to sun damage. As a result, this is one of the most powerful treatments used to treat skin pigmentation problems.
What are the benefits of Lumecca IPL treatment?
In 1-4 sessions, Lumecca IPL treatment improves the appearance of:
- Age spots (red/brown pigmentations)
- Vascular lesions such as facial telangiectasias (spider veins) and poikiloderma
- Rosacea (redness)
- Sun damage
- Melasma in specific patients
Regrettably, IPL technology is NOT SUITABLE for dark skin types (4-6). This is due to the fact that IPL targets melanin; thus, darker skin has a higher risk of burning. In addition, the heat generated by IPL can also increase the appearance of dark spots.
What to expect on the day of your appointment?
- You should arrive without creams or make-up in the treatment area.
- The duration of your appointment depends on the size of the treatment. Your appointment may take 30-45 minutes.
- Pre-treatment photos and treatment consent will be taken.
What to expect after your procedure?
You may experience the following:
- Your skin may appear pink (resembling mild sunburn) for a few hours after treatment. It may be temperature sensitive for several days after treatment.
- Brown spots and freckles may appear darker during the healing process.
- Blistering and crusting are rare; however, if you experience these, apply a thin layer of Bactroban/Nuban/Supiroban 2 times a day for three days.
- It may take 4-6 weeks to see the full result.
- Lucemma IPL treatment sessions are designed to provide no downtime; however, occasionally, you may find that your cheeks and under-eye areas may be slightly puffy after the IPL treatment.
- You may use cold compression for approximately 5 minutes on the treated area and 10 minutes off the treatment area several times an hour to help ease both redness and swelling. NEVER apply direct ice or ice pack to the face and always cover with a cloth.
- You should sleep your head elevated for the first night to help decrease any swelling you may experience.
Skincare before the treatment
Skincare before Lucemma IPL treatment involves:
- Cleanse skin twice a day (do not use alcohol-containing products)
- Moisturize skin twice a day
- Sunscreen everyday SPF > 50.
- Avoid topical irritant agents for one week before treatment (retinoids etc.). If unsure, chat to Dr Spengane.
Precautions to take before the procedure
Mandatory precautions that you should take before Lucemma IPL treatment include:
- Avoid direct, excessive sun exposure or tanning one month prior to treatment.
- Avoid any surgical, invasive, ablative procedure in the treatment area in the last three months or before complete healing.
- Use of Isotretinoin (Roaccutane/Oratane/Accutane) within six months prior to treatment.
- Avoid retinol/retinaldehyde/resorcinol containing night or day cream one week before and one week after treatment.
- If there is an active condition present in the treatment area, such as sores, psoriasis, eczema, and any other rash, it must be adequately treated and should be resolved prior to treatment.
- Active herpes simplex (cold sores) or a history of cold sores in the treatment area (prophylactic treatment must be given one week before the treatment) to prevent reactivation.
How to take care of your skin after treatment
Proper skincare after IPL is very similar to the care used to prepare and typically involves:
- Cleansing the skin twice a day
- Moisturize area twice a day
- Avoid any sun exposure. After the skin has peeled off and has stopped, you should use sunscreen every day. New skin is more susceptible to sun damage.
- You may apply make-up immediately after the treatment if the skin is intact.
Recovery takes approximately 5-10 days.
How many treatment sessions are required?
The number of Lumecca IPL treatments varies from 2-5 sessions every 3-4 weeks. Pigmented lesions usually require fewer sessions than the vascular lesion.
Everyone's skin is different; thus, treatment depends on how your skin responds.